Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Experiments

One of my goals for this year is to try using some new materials and techniques that I can use in my art quilts. For this small experimental piece, I used a rubber stamp of a woman’s face and Fabrico Craft Ink to make the squares. I liked the way some imprints were very strong, and other seemed to be fading away. I sewed them down and frayed them around the edges. They looked too white against the background, so I blotted them with some diluted fabric paint and immediately ironed it dry. This created some interesting splotching, which you can see best on the middle face. Then I took some of the threads that came off my hand-dyed fabrics after washing and drying them, and couched them down with a free-motion quilting stitch.

2 comments:

  1. What a FABULOUS piece!
    YES, it is nice to just PLAY sometimes...GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...this piece looks so free and easy and enticing! It makes me want to go play RIGHT NOW. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.