Monday, July 28, 2008

Rust dyeing experiment #2


Yep, vinegar works better. Tying the rusty objects into the fabric also helps. Here are the same rusty bottlecaps I used yesterday, only I used rubberbands to tightly tie them into the fabric. Then I put vinegar into a plastic bag with the fabric and let it steep for about 12 hours. Voila! The shot above shows most of the fat quarter.

And here's a detail shot:


The stains are darker and more well defined. And the rest of the fabric is a light reddish brown color, too. Next time, I'm using vinegar instead of salt.

1 comment:

  1. hello from cashiers/glenville area of the lovely land of n.c. so glad to find you - have wanted to do rust dyeing for a while now, and after seeing your adventures, i'm even more eager to give it a go. (am in studio journal class, but life has steered me in other directions till now.)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.