At the meeting of the Pandoras (my art quilt buddies) this morning, we altered fabric using Jacquard Textile Medium and Lumiere fabric paints, and a whole bunch of "stuff." I made this piece using a circle cut from a pool noodle, and a piece of plastic from the bottom of a nursery flat (those plastic bins that hold the six-packs of flowers); I wet the fabric first so the designs would be a bit blurred:
The one below is also my piece. The big squarish dots in the upper right are made by painting on top of a plastic sink liner (the ones that are supposed to keep you from chipping your dishes when you wash them in your sink). I bought it for $1 at the Dollar Store.
This is Grace's piece next. You might not be able to see the beautiful subtle marks left by her running a brayer with paint on it over the fabric, with a piece of plastic canvas underneath:
Here is Grace using part of a construction fence to stamp her fabric. She started out with green fabric, and added some marks with a stamp, the construction fence, and the little liner that comes on the bottles of Lumiere.
This next one is mine, made using the plastic canvas stuff. I unevenly applied paint to the brayer before rolling it over the fabric; that's how I got the cool stripes.
Lushorn used my Cedar Canyon rubbing plates (which I usually use with Shiva Paintstiks) under her fabric to add a nice leaf motif to her yellow flowered batik fabric:
Grace and I have both been reading Rayna Gillman's fantastic book, Create your own hand-printed cloth: Stamp screen & stencil with everyday objects, and we tried out some of the techniques she outlines in Chapter 2 today. I'm eager to try out some of the other techniques in her book on another day.