Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

What I’m working on today


I started working on this yesterday, and I’m completely hooked. I think it is because I’ve been doing way too much computer work, and I needed to do something by hand, something tactile and fluid. Something where my brain could mellow and the work would take me where it wanted to go.

This started out as white fabric that was partially transformed in a soy wax batik class with Janet Lasher (see previous post). Here’s what it looked like after that class, but before the wax was removed and before it was washed:

Here are some more shots of what it looks like now. I’m embroidering it with lots of different kinds of floss and thread, and couching down bits of thready fluff that came off fabric yardage after I washed it.

ooooh, this is highly addictive.

5 comments:

  1. And what did *I* do today? Went to the grocery store. Your day was SO much better than mine! This looks awesome -- can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only recently found your blog. I love this what you are doing now ! Absolutely fantastic ! Am looking forward to seeing it all finished !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic. Love the free-form stitching and the variety of threads you're using. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you using a stablizer behind the fabric? Awesome work and it inspires me to get busy and gather some supplies to take a handwork piece to work on while at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wonder what to do with those fun surface design experiments. Your batik is a great ground for embroidery. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.