Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Quilt Festival, Part I


Caryl Bryer Fallert won the HandiQuilter Best of Show Award for her "On the Wings of a Dream."


Meticulously hand appliqued "Garden of Dream" by Fusalo Takido of Japan won the Founders Award.


"Hearts and Garlands" by Liz Jones (below)


"Once Upon a Christmas Night" by Sieglinde Schoen Smith.

"In Hiding" by Barbara Sharpel.


Ayako Kawakami won the Robert S. Cohan Master Award for Traditional Artistry for "Santa Clause Has Come to Kirara’s Hometown!" Look at the gorgeous embroidery and French knots in the border:


"Clam Session" by Karen Stone (below) won the Maywood Studio Master Award for Innovative Artistry.


"Protection" by Hollis Chatelain.

"Tribute to Tolkein" by Sue McCarty.

Judy Coates Perez at Open Studios/Make it University.


Judy Gula teaches participants at Make It University how to make a collaged mini-purse.


Pokey Bolton in the Quilting Arts booth.


Jane Davila and her husband Carlos (who is a marvelous painter) in her booth.


SAQA representatives for the state of Texas Mary Ann Littlejohn and Laurie Brainerd man the Studio Art Quilt Associates desk near the SAQA exhibits.


SAQA’s Portfolio 16 is hot off the presses. It contains work by SAQA's Professional Artist Members, and is beautifully produced. You can order it in the bookstore on the SAQA website.


"Midnight in the Garden" by Paula Byrd.


"Broken Dishes" by Maria Elkins.


View of the Convention Center from the Hilton.


Live oaks near the Museum District.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your time in Houston with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!
    Those quilts are amazing, with the detail and shading they do, along with use of stitchery. Now I want to make an art quilt;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I almost feel as if I was there. Those are some amazing quilts. I loved looking at them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan, thank you for sharing the pics with us. I'm in Boston right now but I wish I was in Houston!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.