Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Quilting “Purple Phalaenopsis”


I started quilting Purple Phalaenopsis this afternoon. Here are a few shots. I am using drapery-weight cotton fabric for the backing, and Matilda batting (40 percent wool/60 percent polyester) inside, and it is staying nice and flat, despite the heavy quilting in some areas. I used this combination on Lepidoptera earlier this year and was very pleased with the results. My friend Nancy G. Cook suggested it.



The challenge here is to add interest, color and texture with the quilting, but still make some petals and flower parts appear to come forward. I may go back in with a bit more paint, or even some permanent markers, and add some additional shading, as I am not entirely pleased with this aspect of the piece right now.

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing the close ups and how the stitches work on the material. Can't wait to have more time to practice on my machine and see what I can do.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. And I agree- I love the detail shots, those alone are an opportunity to learn. Thank you for showing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piece is stunning and your quilting absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo with the metallic painting and threadwork looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.