Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

January Pandoras meeting



Today was our January meeting of the Pandoras, my local fiber art group. It happened to fall on Grace’s birthday, so of course we had to have cake! Fluffy white cake with cream cheese frosting and lemon curd… yum! Grace’s husband interrupted our meeting every 10 minutes with a phone text message saying “Happy Birthday!” Very sweet, don’t you think? I love this photo of Grace, showing the cute little gap between her front teeth. She is very fun-loving and has the most amazing laugh. Happy Birthday, my dear friend!

Here is Grace in a more serious mode (below), working with watercolor pencils and Caran D’Ache Neocolor II Watersoluble Crayons crayons on fabric. She is experimenting with using them on one of her orchid pieces she is doing for our Fiber Art Options group exhibition next month. While we usually work on the same project (picked out by the host), this month we brought our own things and just worked side by side.



Michele worked on this lovely beaded fish piece. She’s done several of these beaded buttons, and they are to die for! Michele works in a very eclectic mix of needle arts… quilting, beading, needlepoint, doll-making…



Meanwhile, Alisan and I tried out Creative PaperClay for the first time, and followed instructions by Elaine Thomas in the January/February issue of Cloth Paper Scissors magazine to make folk art Valentines. (You can see Elaine’s wonderful work on her blog, her Flickr account, and her Etsy shop.)

Here’s how mine looked after I shaped the clay. The heart is built around molded aluminum foil, so it is very light. I’ll post photos of it once it is dry and painted so you can see how it turns out.



I really liked working with PaperClay. When I was in college, I made some pieces in porcelain clay while working at a YMCA camp during the summer. This has a similar feel, but has a little more spring or flexibility to it. It does not need to be fired, but simply air dries, and can then be sanded and smoothed before painting. It can even be wet again and re-worked somewhat.

I enjoy working three-dimensionally… guess I had forgotten how much. Must… resist… temptation… focus, focus!

5 comments:

  1. fun stuff!!
    the cake looks amazing
    do you have the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mary!
    It is just a white cake from a box. Then topped with home-made cream cheese frosting and lemon curd. Both are pretty simple to make. Do you need recipes for one or the other, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks really good so far. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I've been looking for the benefit of some positively interesting word close to woodworking and topics joint, and I haven't been
    skilled to find any until now. Thanks in search book such a great article, and I just wanted to drop you a edging and let you know that I'll once
    sponsor backside again to stay in sight some more of your stuff. I really appreciate the info, and the blog is incredibly
    pleasurable to read. I believe that's all! Thank you Forgive me, my English is not very adept.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.