Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Brrrrrrrr!

Snow Squall
by Susan Brubaker Knapp (2010)
20" x 16.5"
Baby, it’s cold outside! Here near Charlotte, North Carolina, where I live, it is starting to get chilly, just in time for December. So I thought it the perfect time to share with you my latest piece, Snow Squall. This piece is featured in the current issue of Quilting Arts magazine (the December 2010/January 2011 issue).

We don’t get much snow here, just about 5" a year. I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa., where we got a lot of snow, and I miss it. This year I’ve been writing a series of articles on thread sketching for Quilting Arts magazine, and when I needed to make a piece about creating movement with thread, I stitched myself up a flurry!

I started with a dark blue batik fabric that was mottled all over, and used a mechanical chalk pencil to trace some snowflake designs and swirls onto it. I pinned the fabric to interfacing (Pellon 910), and thread sketched the swirls using varigated blue Aurifil Cotton Mako 50 thread, and for the snowflakes, the same weight thread in solid white. Then I highlighted a few areas with a bit of metallic acrylic paint. Doesn’t this look frosty?

Snow Squall (detail)
After adding batting and backing fabric, I quilted around the swirls and snowflakes to make them come forward, and quilted the background to accentuate the sensation of movement. 

If you want to stitch your own snowflake, you can download the design for one of these snowflakes on the Quilting Arts community website (go to Free Stuff, and then Online Extras). If you want my snowflakes instead, this piece is for sale. You can find all the details on my website.

Snow Squall (detail)

16 comments:

  1. Love that piece and the colors.
    Something I would love to try and do.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Reminds me of what I could have done in a napkin challenge. Lacy and the colours are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am obsessed with snowflakes and love the way you have done yours. I have just ordered a big book of snowflake images, and will be trying your techniques myself. I love the delicate, unique feel the stitching gives each crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my issue yesterday....I love the snowflakes....and I like them better on your blog than in the magazine....I feel like I can touch the ones on your blog post.

    Beautiful!!

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this piece and will download the pattern to make one for myself! I love snow items because I can leave them up well after Christmas to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stared at this picture last night after opening my QA magazine. This is just beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for your hints on how this was created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! A real cold beauty.Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen some of your articles in Quilting Arts Ms. Susan. Remember? we met at the Asheville Quilt Show.
    Love the colors of your new pieces, but do you really get snow in Charlotte?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I remember meeting you! And yes, we usually get some snow in Charlotte. Not nearly as much as you get in western NC, though. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful piece! Love it.

    Darlis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful piece. I love the shade of blue. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has to be my favorite piece that you have done. Not only can I feel the wind blow but I can also feel the cold. I really can't put into words the beauty and splendor of this piece. I so admire your talent and creativity! The main thing that blows me away is that I KNOW you.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! That's absolutely beautiful. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.