Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Sketchbook Challenge: Sketch #10


Okay, I've now completed ten sketches for The Sketchbook Challenge so far this year. Ten sketches, 18 days. Not too bad. Today I sketched my reading glasses. “Highly prized” (this month’s theme) because it is getting to the point that I can’t do much of anything without them. Sigh. It makes me really mad, really crazy. Can you tell? 

I think the glasses look pretty good, pretty realistic. But perhaps I should have done the lenses with some of the color showing through? At least they stand out from the background this way. I am loving working with type in my sketches. It makes me wonder if I should do some fiber pieces using type. With my graphic design background, it makes sense. 

This is the kind of visual brainstorming I was hoping would take place by sketching regularly. It will be very interesting to see where this takes me this year, and how much the sketches affect my fiber art. 

Note: This is black ink on white paper, with water color and pencil (the words in the background). The size is about 8.5" x 11".

8 comments:

  1. I love it! That's a great "sketch" and it's just like my favorite pair of purple glasses that I have. I'm to that point where I need bifocals but I haven't gone to the dr to go get them yet. But every time I try to read a label or something, I have to squint funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sketches are looking good. Understand about the readers. I'm right there with you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, what a fabulous sketch! I thought it was a photo at first. And I hear ya about the glasses. I've been denying it for years but there comes a time when you just have to give in or quit reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the type on this one, especially. That's the first thing that jumped out at me -- I wouldn't be able to draw type that looks that good, even if I traced it! And the realism of the glasses . . . WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketch. Great lettering. You need to make this one into a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get it! I hate my glasses also but very necessary. It's so frustrating as I always had really good eyesight so it's really frustrating to depend on them. Now I need one pair for close up reading, needlework etc.. and then another pair that are bifocals for far way and watching the tv. So I always have to have both pairs at the ready and can't use trifocals or contacts:( But I do love my frames so at least I look good in them!
    Laura T

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was wearing my contacts and then needed readers, I would keep a pair in every room in the house and my purse! The sketch is great and fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is always so much fun in your works. I love it. That made my day.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.