Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Sketchbook Challenge: Sketch #4

Here’s my fourth sketch for The Sketchbook Challenge. I did it while looking at a photo I took of my Nikko Blue hydrangea this fall (you can see the photo below). It had turned a wonderful dusky purple color.

I am considering this as a subject for a future art quilt. I just love the luscious color and texture in it. I sketched using a Sharpie pen, used my Caran D'ache Water Soluble Crayons to color the drawing, and then turned the color to water color with a wet brush. I’m not very happy with this sketch, and I’m not sure why.  

I think I need to add some darker values, especially in the background. This is something I struggle with again and again. It is scary to add the really dark values. But this sketch is at least a start, a step toward the art quilt. I am trying to decide if I should do it in paint, as I did with my orchid series, or with fused fabric.


  1. I have been enjoying your sketchbook challenges. I definitely thing you should make this into a quilt, it would be so gorgeous with those colors.


  2. I am a huge hydrangea fan and your drawing is great. I look forward to seeing your future art quilt.

  3. Wow! That looks awesome. When you use the water soluble crayons, are they washable or is there a way to set the color?

  4. Hmmmm....I was thinking about joining the challenge....but instead....I think I'll stick to making paper airplanes with my boys...ROFL.

    Absolutely beautiful!!


  5. This is gorgeous!
    I would be very happy with it!!

  6. This is my favorite one so far. It would make a beautiful quilt.

  7. It's a good sketch but I think you're right about adding darker values to the background. It would make the hydrangeas stand out more.

  8. I thought it was one of your quilts when i first saw the pic on your blog. Wonderful!

  9. This is beautiful and getting to be your signature style. Can't wait to see it in a quilt!


I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.