Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sketchbook Challenge: Sketches #7, 8, 9

I did the pencil sketches in this post for The Sketchbook Challenge during my trip to Maryland last week. I took along a little Moleskine sketchbook, and drew this one (of my Dansko clog, above) at the gate in the airport, without taking my foot out of the shoe. I highly prize comfortable shoes, especially after my 18-month bout of plantar fasciitis, a very painful foot condition, several years ago. (If you are wondering about the scribbles all over the shoes, these clogs have French writing all over them.)
 
 This is a sketch of my host Coralyn’s lovely antique dresser, which was in the room where I stayed at her house. 
When I joined the Sketchbook Challenge, I vowed to take on faces and bodies, my greatest fears. This is a drawing of a young woman seated across from me at the airport waiting area. The proportions of her body to her face are not quite right, but it is not too bad, considering that I never draw people. Maybe I can do this after all! 

I am considering getting a book on drawing faces and figures, and working my way through it. Any suggestions on books you like?

6 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying all of your sketches, and I love the shoe in this post! Very cool! You sketch really well!
    D~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your sketches and I am not the best with faces either. I think of art as interpretive, so even if mine are not perfect, they are what comes out of me;)

    Congrats on the invite, that will be a wonderful experience.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyric Kinard just a posted about a great video on Jan 8th, 2011 of her blog... I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the best IMHO.

    Love your clog drawing. I'm a Dansko wearer from way back.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," and it is very good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, you should check online with a google search on drawing faces. There are a lot of great references out there! Or an online class...

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.