Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Wow.


Wow. I just found out that my piece, “Hope is the Thing,” is on the cover of the February/March 2012 issue of Quilting Arts magazine.

I started this piece the morning I found out that my mother had died, and it has come to represent the space between us now that she is gone. It was juried into The Space Between, an exhibition curated by Jamie Fingal and Leslie Tucker Jenison for Dinner at Eight Artists, and has already gone to International Quilt Festival – Long Beach, and International Quilt Festival – Houston in 2011. 

This issue of Quilting Arts also features the work of other amazing artists in The Space Between: Susan Fletcher King, Sherry Kleinman, Jayne Larson and Linda Teddle Minton.

In this past year, even as I have mourned my mother’s physical presence, I have felt her emotional presence very close to me in my darkest hours. This feels like another sign. Love you, Mom.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you! I read every issue of QA mag, and I can't wait for the next one to come out..

    I totally understand, too, about your need to create art, to connect with your mum; last year, I created an encaustic diptych in memory of my nana..

    Your mum would be so proud, as I'm sure she already was before she passed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - Congratulations!!!! The quilt is beautiful, the sentiment behind it is moving. How wonderful that your Mom's memory gets shared in such a special way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big congratulations! Well decerved. Your quilting is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan
    I loved that piece from the first time I saw it. What a lovely tribute to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and wonderful that it is this piece, that made it on the cover.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations...yep, the mother daughter bond is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be sooo proud of yourself. This is wonderful. U R right..your mother is right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful Susan! I'm glad her gifts keep on giving.

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. That piece is utterly gorgeous! I can see why they would want it for the cover. Just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got my copy of this issue yesterday and was so excited to see your quilt on the cover -- I recognized it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My issue arrived today! My husband puts my quilting magazines right on the corner of the coffee table and recogized your beautiful quilt on the cover from across the room. Congrat's on the cover...it's a special piece indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.