Thursday, May 22, 2014

“Lenten Rose”

“Lenten Rose”
by Susan Brubaker Knapp
copyright 2014
I am rather excited to share with you this piece that I made yesterday. It will be about 14 x 11" when it is faced (maybe smaller, as I am considering cropping it in). It started with this ink drawing in my sketchbook, which I did sometime last year:

I then water-colored the line drawing:

I blew up the black ink line drawing and traced it onto white fabric, using a Micron Pigma Pen, then painted it with ProChemical & Dye transparent textile paint:

And then I stitched with black thread: 


I do a lot of crosshatching in my sketches, and it was interesting, and more challenging, to do it in thread:

I had a lot of fun with this, and I rather like this more graphic, sketchy, loose style. It is not as realistic as most of my work, but it is fun. And certainly faster. I am looking forward to using more of my sketches in my textile art!


  1. That's gorgeous, Susan! And thank you so much for explaining your journey from beginning to end.
    Love it!

  2. I really like how this came out and I think it is fun to do art pieces and experiment with color and threads.


  3. Wow, love it. The colors are so vibrant and I really like the cross-hatching.

  4. I believe I like this even better than the more realistic pieces. (But then I don't often get accused of being a realist!)

  5. Very nice. Really enjoyed our workshop last month in Winston-Salem. Looking forward to the new season of QA in July.

  6. Very interesting piece and it looks like it was somewhat of a challenge.


I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.