Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I am what I choose to become

“I am what I choose to become”
Copyright 2015 by Susan Brubaker Knapp
I made this last night for a courageous young woman I know who is dealing with a traumatic injury and facing a challenging recovery. I chose a quote by Carl Gustav Jung, the Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology:

“I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to become.”  – Carl Jung

I decided to add a butterfly because it is a powerful image of metamorphosis and change.  

I have only painted on canvas a handful of times, and it was interesting how much differently the acrylic paint moved on the gessoed canvas than on fabric. I used a prepared canvas purchased at a craft store, and my ProChemical & Dye transparent and opaque acrylic textile paints. Not sure if I should be using regular acrylic paints, but I don’t have many of them, and I have a lot of the textile paints.

5 comments:

  1. What a powerful message for all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be a lot of this going around right now--especially with our younger people. What a great gift as a reminder to make that choice !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheries, I think you misunderstood. This young woman was injured in a freak accident. I hope there's not "a lot of this going around right now"!

      Delete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.