Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Teaching at Hudson River Valley Art Workshops

The former Carriage House – now the studio – at Hudson River Valley Art Workshops.
I taught last week (Aug. 15-19) at Hudson River Valley Art Workshops in Greenville, New York (near Albany). This is the second time I’ve taught there; I really love having five days with students, because everyone is able to dig deep into their work and get a lot done under my supervision. The Greenville Arms is a grand old inn run by fiber artist Kim LaPolla and her husband Mark, a chef and chocolatier. During most of the year, they run artists’ workshops and retreats – oil, acrylic, watercolor, fiber arts and quilting – and bring in fabulous teachers. 

My room, with a quilt made by Kim!


You stay in the Inn, or in one of the other buildings with guest rooms, and have 24-hour access to a large, well-lit, well-equipped studio. You eat amazing gourmet meals and chocolate, and you hang out with fellow artists. It’s fabulous.


The Greenville Arms 1889 Inn

I covered wholecloth painting, fusible applique and thread sketching. Some students concentrated more on one than another, and some worked on large pieces, but all made substantial progress, and a few went home with a piece or two nearly completed. I thoroughly enjoyed this group!

My students did amazing work. Want to see? 







8 comments:

  1. Beautiful art work ! Someday maybe ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I get to go this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still working on my leaves. I am adding more leaves that are thread painted like I learned from Nancy Prince. I made fabric with my thread scraps to use as shadows on some of the leaves. I also added some intense ink on a few leaves. Having a great time experimenting. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and smiles . Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are experimenting and having fun, Ruth! I loved having you in class.

      Delete
  4. i love how in your teaching you are imparting on some folks the art of SEEing through your art work and workshops. That is a biggie for those who can absorb. Beautiful student work, they are just beaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still amazed at how my painted day lily turned out. I never thought I could paint. This is a totally new option for me. I am now working on the background for my fusible appliqué of the green bottles on the windowsill. I loved being able to keep working, stopping only for a cookie, a coffee, a gourmet meal, a conversation, or even a little sleep. I learned so much as I worked on my own pieces and also listened to how Susan guided all of us with our individual projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled that you are so happy with your results. Your pieces are wonderful!

      Delete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.