Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

“Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower”

“Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower” (24x19")
Copyright 2019 by Susan Brubaker Knapp
This is my latest: “Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower” at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It is approximately 24" x 19". (I don’t have the facing on yet, so I don’t know the exact size.) I took the photo on which this piece is based several years ago. I attended UNC-CH in the late 1980s, and earned my master's degree in journalism there. Both my daughters go there now, with one graduating in a week. The bell tower is perhaps my favorite structure on campus. I love the Carolina blue tile ceiling, with its reflective tiles that make you feel like you are looking up to the sky. The base is airy and open and joyful. 

This is a wholecloth painted piece; it started out as white fabric, and I painted the design first, then quilted the piece, spending most of my time going around every single tile and brick with thread. Here are some detail shots:





9 comments:

  1. You made an article that is interesting.You are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful! I love how your quilting gives it dimension! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is simply gorgeous! I thought it was a picture at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative article it really helped me so much and the strategies are awesome.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely stunning and this place is very special to me. Would you make this for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! Would you make this for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but this piece is not for sale. If you would like to commission a similar piece, please contact me.

      Delete
  7. This is gorgeous! Would you make this for sale?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.