Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

“Infectious”

 

“Infectious”
19.5 x 20.25" Copyright 2023 Susan Brubaker Knapp.
White cotton fabric, acrylic textile paint, ink, cotton batting, cotton thread, cotton backing fabric.
Hand drawn, wholecloth painted, free-motion machine quilted.


During one of the last Covid outbreaks, I started doodling this funky looking virus on fabric using a pigment ink pen, and used acrylic textile paints to color it in. Then I set it aside.

This past week, while emerging from a horrible cold and hating viruses even more, I got it out and started quilting. The background on the virus is cross-hatched in ink, and I quilted it heavily to make the protrusions stand out more.

I used echo quilting to give a feeling of motion, that the virus was pulsating, spreading its infectious particles out into the universe.  

I am so sick of thinking about sickness.

1 comment:

  1. Me too! We've just had the horrid cold and cough. However your virus looks rather nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.