Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

“Heirloom Pumpkins” – Day 2


I didn’t too much thread sketching done on this piece today, but it is starting to take shape. I started by outlining the sections on the main pumpkin in the foreground with black. Then I added some yellow on the parts of the sections that are the lightest – the highlights. I’m not sure if they are light enough yet.


I added white thread on the areas where the pumpkin had some warty, lumpy blemishes.


I want to blend the area where the orange of the pumpkin fades into the deep shadow. I’ve already added some sage green there, and will go back in with some oranges, too. You might not be able to see much of the green thread in these photos, as the lighting conditions were kind of dark.


I’ve started to add some shadows to define the segments on the green-gray pumpkin.


I am wondering if I should sketch in the boards on the wall behind the pumpkins. It kind of looks like a dark October sky, and I am liking it. I could just quilt the sky to suggest clouds and keep it simple. If you have an opinion, let me know what you think.

8 comments:

  1. A great example piece for using threads to add depth.
    I think either way for the background would look wonderful, I do like the idea of boards behind them, but can also imagine pumpkins in a field with the sky too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pumpkins, the thread work is coming together nicely. Would love to be able to see it for real. Has inspired me to have a go. Will be checking in to see the progress. Thank you for sharing.
    Chris Queensland Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good that I thought it might be painted on fabric instead of cut fabrics. Nothing wrong with painting, I just think it can be harder to get the same shading effects with cut fabrics. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing transformation to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am loving watching this work in progress, thanks for the detailed documentation. I prefer the boards in the background because otherwise the pumpkins look like they're floating or ready to fall off into a precipice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the contrast of the blue against the orange and grey of the pumpkins. I can't wait for Black Mountian. It's going to be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the contrast of the blue against the orange and grey of the pumpkins. I can't wait for Black Mountian. It's going to be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so looking forward to your contribution to Free Motion Quilting with SewCal Gal! I love watching what you are doing. I wonder what it would be like in video speeded up. You asked for opinions... I would put the boards stitched in for contrast of color and shape, curve vs. line, etc. Love watching you work! Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.