Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Quilting “Purple Phalaenopsis”
I started quilting Purple Phalaenopsis this afternoon. Here are a few shots. I am using drapery-weight cotton fabric for the backing, and Matilda batting (40 percent wool/60 percent polyester) inside, and it is staying nice and flat, despite the heavy quilting in some areas. I used this combination on Lepidoptera earlier this year and was very pleased with the results. My friend Nancy G. Cook suggested it.
The challenge here is to add interest, color and texture with the quilting, but still make some petals and flower parts appear to come forward. I may go back in with a bit more paint, or even some permanent markers, and add some additional shading, as I am not entirely pleased with this aspect of the piece right now.
Posted by Susan Brubaker Knapp at 10:44 PM 5 comments:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)