Sunday, July 6, 2014

“Harlequin Ink”

“Harlequin Ink”  16"x19.5"  Copyright Susan Brubaker Knapp 2014
This piece, which I’ve named “Harlequin Ink,” has been in progress for at least two years. Maybe three. I just finished it this weekend. I started with a piece of clamp-dyed Shibori fabric I made in a dyeing workshop years ago. Then I embroidered it, using different weights of hand-dyed perle cotton and other threads. Much of the texture can be attributed to the couched-down threads, many torn from fabrics after they came out of the dryer. After I finished the hand embroidery, I free-motion quilted it.