Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lost in translation

A friend and fellow fiber artist, Sarah Ann Smith, recently alerted me that she had found this mention and link to both my website and hers on a blog by an Italian woman named Gaya, "Le Borse di Gaya."

"E infine via a rifarsi gli occhi con alcuni quilt spettacolosi: Blue moon river, Sarah Ann Smith e Magic happens. No, vietato deprimersi!!! Guardare, ammirare ed ispirarsi ma mai deprimersi pensando di non essere all’altezza."


First I tried using the Sherlock Translation program I have on my Mac, and got this amusing translation:

And finally via rifaring the eyes with some quilt spettacolosi: Blue moon river, Sarah Ann Smith and Magic happens. Not, prohibited to depress itself!!! To watch, to admire and to inspire themselves but never to depress itself thinking not to be next to the height.


Okay, what the heck does that mean? So I tried a less direct route. My friend Dawna has a co-worker with a Ph.D. in Italian, and she translated it like this:

“Refresh your eyes with some spectacular quilts: Blue Moon River, Sarah Ann Smith and Magic Happens. It’s forbidden to be depressed!!! Look, admire and inspire yourself but don’t get down that you’re not this good.”


Grazie mille, Gaya! (Many thanks, Gaya!)

Wow, it is really amazing how the internet is connecting us all over the planet, isn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Hi!!
    I just found first your email and then your post and I'm absolutely thrilled that you linked me :) I stumbled on your blog a couple of weeks ago and was stunned by your quilts (I just love the fern project!) and obviously I had to talk about them on my blog. I really should write my entries in english and italian, but it is more time consuming and every time I start doing it I then realize there are very very few english speaking visitors on my blog so I give up after a couple of entries (shame on me).
    You friend did a wonderful job translating it, send her my compliments :)
    Thanks again for the link and I will be back often on your blog to "rifaring my eyes" ;)
    Gaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao, Gaya!

    Susan, your friend did, indeed, as Gaya already told you, do a fine job. Will you be attending Barnful of Quilts next month?

    Fulvia at www.fulviastudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaya, Thanks so much for your kind words about my work! I speak a bit of French, so I was able to figure a little bit out, but not much! Do kou know the old joke: "What do you call a person who speaks three languages? (Trilingual) What do you call a person who speaks two languages? (Bilingual) What do you call a person who speaks one language? (an American!)" Pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you deserve the compliments you know !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to read the thread of international conversation about your quilts! Just love it that quilting can draw us together from all around the world!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.