Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The mermaid returns!


“Teach Me to Hear Mermaids Singing” is back home, safe and sound. She’s been traveling the world for the past 2-1/2 years. I made this quilt in 2006. It was the second art quilt I’d ever made. I started it after painting the face in a class taught by Bonnie McCaffery. The rest of the quilt is made up of tiny fabric pieces (some as small as 1/4") positioned under tulle, then heavily embellished with thread painting. You can see this in the detail shots below.

This quilt was selected as one of 50 finalists in the 2006 Husqvarna Viking competition “MasterPieces: Imagine That!” It was exhibited first at the 2006 International Quilt Market and Festival in Houston, and then toured to Sweden, Great Britain, Chicago, Finland, Australia and Denmark. I am happy to have her home!





1 comment:

  1. The Mermaid has always seemed to me to be one of your best. All the little undersea details done in fabric are just wonderful. What happens to her next??

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.