Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

“Under Tennessee Skies”



In July, I presented and taught at The Village Quilters guild in Loudon, Tenn. At the meeting, they showed photos of a gorgeous quilt they made called “Under Tennessee Skies.” It was donated to the Knoxville Convention Center, and installed during a ribbon cutting ceremony on July 22, 2009 at the opening of the first AQS Expo held in Knoxville. The quilt was made by members of the guild, led by Arliss Barber, and quilted by Kathy Drew.

It has lots of scenes of Tennessee historic sites and of state symbols thread-painted on it, including this box turtle, passion flower and iris:

and this inquisitive raccoon:

What a spectacular quilt, and what an amazing gift from The Village Quilters to the city of Knoxville! I am sure that it will also help to educate passers-by that quilts can be art, as well as beautiful bed coverings. If you are in Knoxville, make sure to swing by and see it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for calling attention to this terrific quilt made by members of our quilt guild and donated to the city of Knoxville.
    All of us are very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.