Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pumpkins for Piano, Part 1


I am starting work on a new piece based on this photo, and I’m very excited about it. I’m creating it for a wonderful couple who collect art, whom I met through my friend and fellow fiber artist Nancy G. Cook. They had a nice piano that they had not been able to sell, and I was looking for a better instrument for my daughter to play. I could not afford to pay them what the piano was worth, so they proposed a trade: the piano for a piece of my work. 

After I showed them my portfolio and talked with them about how I work, we decided that I should take a lot of photos of pumpkins and gourds last fall, and do a piece based on the photo they selected. I am thrilled that they chose this one. There is so much wonderful color and texture in this shot, and of course, it is pumpkins, one of my favorite subjects … perhaps because of my Halloween birthday! 

We are trying to decide whether it should be a horizontal or vertical piece. Here is the photo horizontally. What do you think?


This is Autumn’s Bounty, a piece based on a photo of mini-pumpkins I did that was featured in the 2010 Quilting Arts Calendar:

And believe it or not, I have two other pieces in which pumpkins are the subject, but I can’t show them to you just yet. I will post about my work on the new piece as it progresses. My daughter loves the new piano, and is playing beautifully.

10 comments:

  1. I vote for vertical as it seems to have a better flow for my eye. Even the pumpkin stem in the lower left corner facilitates the flow. Just my 2 cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that you could trade to get a nice piano for your daughter. I had one that I couldn't get rid of, a beautiful oak baldwin, ended up going to the salvation.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fabulous photo! I think I prefer it horizontally...personal preference. The colors and textures just itch to be made into something wonderful. Great pick! Can't wait to see your version of this. Please share along the way. Thank you so much for sharing your vision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vertical has more interest in my view. Good bartering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Are the appliques embroidered or is it just patchwork?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the vertical photo Susan and what fun exchange. I think you will both 'play' beautifully! Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a slight preference for the vertical orientation, but I think they both work almost equally well. Do the clients have a preference? I think that might guide me in making a decision.

    Beautiful photo and I know you will do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like the vertical orientation, too. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy,
    The pumpkins in Autumn's Bounty are raw-edge applique with lots of thread sketching on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry,
    Absolutely; the clients will have the final say. I think it works pretty well in either orientation, so we might wait until the piece is done and then decide how to hang it.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.