Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Sketchbook Challenge: Sketch #4


Here’s my fourth sketch for The Sketchbook Challenge. I did it while looking at a photo I took of my Nikko Blue hydrangea this fall (you can see the photo below). It had turned a wonderful dusky purple color.


I am considering this as a subject for a future art quilt. I just love the luscious color and texture in it. I sketched using a Sharpie pen, used my Caran D'ache Water Soluble Crayons to color the drawing, and then turned the color to water color with a wet brush. I’m not very happy with this sketch, and I’m not sure why.  

I think I need to add some darker values, especially in the background. This is something I struggle with again and again. It is scary to add the really dark values. But this sketch is at least a start, a step toward the art quilt. I am trying to decide if I should do it in paint, as I did with my orchid series, or with fused fabric.

10 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying your sketchbook challenges. I definitely thing you should make this into a quilt, it would be so gorgeous with those colors.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge hydrangea fan and your drawing is great. I look forward to seeing your future art quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks awesome. When you use the water soluble crayons, are they washable or is there a way to set the color?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm....I was thinking about joining the challenge....but instead....I think I'll stick to making paper airplanes with my boys...ROFL.

    Absolutely beautiful!!

    Giggles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!
    I would be very happy with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite one so far. It would make a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good sketch but I think you're right about adding darker values to the background. It would make the hydrangeas stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was one of your quilts when i first saw the pic on your blog. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful and getting to be your signature style. Can't wait to see it in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.