Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Space Between, Part 4

Hope is the Thing by Susan Brubaker Knapp 36" x 46.5"
It’s done! This is my latest piece, and it is called Hope is the Thing. I am submitting it for consideration in a juried invitational called “The Space Between,” which will be co-curated by Leslie Tucker Jenison and Jamie Fingal

The name comes from a line in an Emily Dickinson poem; you can read about it in my previous post

I am very pleased with it, now that it is done. After I had finished the quilting and had sewn on the binding, I decided that some of the feathers were not blue enough. It looked a bit washed out. So I went back in and added some more paint (I used Jacquard Lumiere and Stewart Gill acrylic paints) so that the blue was even more luminous and iridescent, the way it looked in the photo I took.

I also added darker blue on the second and fourth feathers to make it obvious that the third feather was on top of them. The third feather was a lighter blue color to start with, but I made it lighter and the others darker because this contrast portrays greater depth, and defines the layers.

14 comments:

  1. This should be a winner. You do such beautiful work.

    Darlis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Susan, this piece turned out so gorgeous! I love the name you gave it also. Very fitting. Please keep us informed on its impact on the juried invitational. Will the selections be on display somewhere in California?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen,
    Yes! The exhibit will premiere at International Quilt Festival in Long Beach, July 29-31.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning, one of your most amazing pieces yet! I'm sure this one will always be very dear to your heart and soul! And Hope Truly is the Thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the additions! Your piece turned out so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you so inspire me to keep going for it. Thanks love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the most beautiful quilt. They'd be crazy not to accept it. Congratulations. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.