Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Anniversary Quilt


Earlier this year, I was commissioned to make a small quilt commemorating the 50th anniversary of Ruth and Morris Williams, who are dear family friends. I have known them since I was born, and they have been friends with my parents for nearly 50 years. 

I was very honored when Morris called to ask me to create a quilt that he could give to his wife. He requested that it be embroidered with the words “Ruth and Morris” and “50+ years,” and with the names of his two daughters and their husbands and children. He originally asked me to complete it by their anniversary date in the spring, but my schedule wouldn’t permit me enough time to complete the applique, so we settled on a Christmas delivery date.


I designed the quilt using colors – blue and gold – and images – pink tulips and yellow roses – that are symbolic to their family. I also included some Ohio Star blocks, since Ruth went to the College of Wooster in Ohio. I used solid color fabrics suggestive of the decorations for  furniture, barns and quilts of the German settlers of eastern Pennsylvania, as the Williams have spent most of their lives living in Pennsylvania.

The center and corner blocks are hand needleturn applique, and the entire quilt measures about 46" square. I am getting ready to baste and quilt it, and I’ll post more photos as I do.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    I'm sure Ruth and Morris will treasure it - what a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt and I love how you incorporated the colors and style of the PA Dutch, they will love it. Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful! I love the symbolism you incorporated into the quilt. It will be a family treasure.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.