Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

“Look, See”

"Look, See" by Susan Brubaker Knapp (2014)
Several months ago, I was contacted by Matt Reese and Stevii Graves, who were organizing an invitational exhibition called “My Personal App” that would debut at Road to California later this month.

Here is my piece for the exhibition: "Look, See." It is based on a closeup photo of my eye in bright sunshine, and is wholecloth painted and quilted. Quilters invited to participate in this exhibition were asked to create a 36" square quilt that looks like an app icon, representing their personal app. This piece is wholecloth painted and then quilted, and is based on a photo of my eye. I believe it is the mind, heart, and eye of the photographer, and not the camera, that makes a good shot. It is learning to see – not just look at – things.




I am excited to teach at Road To California next year, in January 2016!

1 comment:

  1. What a clever idea you used for this piece. It's an "eyecon"! I love your color selection - you have pretty eyes. Very well done, as always.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.