Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2022

“Three Fishes #1”



I’ve been working on several series of small pieces to sell at the Orange County Artists Guild’s Studios Tour this fall. (I'll be opening my home studio to the public the first two weekends in November.) 

The piece above, “Three Fishes #1,” is the first in my small fish series, based on some of my fish drawings that I did for a huge piece (in progress) called “We All Swim Together.” This little piece is 11.5" square. Cotton fabric, acrylic textile paint, cotton batting, cotton backing. Wholecloth painted, free-motion quilted. 

The technique I’m using to create these pieces is outlined in my article in the summer 2022 issue of Quilting Arts magazine. It’s on newsstands now, and is also available at QuiltingDaily.com


2 comments:

  1. Just saw your article in the current issue of QA. I wandered through your online gallery recently and admired your Buddha series and especially last year's Raven series. I decided you must have done something like that to simplify the process and was excited today to see the QA article. (Also love the chairs!) Thanks for sharing the technique, which I think is something even I could do! I also like the idea of working in a series in general to explore techniques, ideas, themes, etc.

    Best of luck with your studio tours!
    Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! Hope you will give it a try! It has been a fun way to create smaller pieces at a lower price point that more people can afford. And I've enjoyed it as a way to experiment with different color combinations and stitching approaches.

      Delete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.