Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Old silk quilt tops


A friend, Meg Kimmel, just gave me these quilt tops. The first is made entirely of silk neckties pieced by hand and then beautifully embroidered on the top.
The second is a crazy quilt that looks like it was done early in the 1900s (there are two dates, 1900 and 1901 sewn onto it) and then had additional, more modern, fabrics sewn on top to cover deteriorating fabrics. It is sewn onto a muslin foundation. I love the silk necktie one, but many of its fabrics are deteriorating as well. Meg thinks they were made by her father's grandmother. They were found in an old trunk when handling the estate after her parents died. I am not sure what I am going to do with these, but they sure are neat. Ideas, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful- I'm in the process of completing a top found at my grandmother's home after she passed. Luckily it is mostly cotton, so there were very few patches that had to be replaced with muslin. I have no idea what will become of it once finished, though!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.