Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

California! (Part 2)


I spent last Thursday with Jamie Fingal, fiber artist and curator (with Leslie Tucker Jenison) of the Dinner at Eight Artists exhibitions. She lives and has her studio in Orange, California, and invited me over for a chat on her bright red polka-dot sofa.

Did I mention she loves the color red?



After a wonderful lunch, Jamie took me to a business that restores Airstream trailers. She kinda has a thing for Airstreams... check out her work on the most recent issue of Quilting Arts magazine:

 
We had fun posing ourselves (and Jamie’s red car) so that we reflected in the shiny metal trailers. We loved our skinny reflections!
 

They really are gorgeous things:


I did not know that depending on the year, the trailers have different construction. Check out the many-paneled top on this model:








On Thursday night, I did a presentation for Beach Cities Quilters Guild in Mission Viejo, and then did two classes for them on Friday and Saturday. They were a great group! On Saturday night, the guild president, Jean Impey (who happens to be a marvelous contemporary and art quilter) took me out for a fabulous meal. 

And then (after noticing me marveling at the exotic trees and plants), she drove me to see two special trees that she loves. I’m not sure about the species of either one, as I have never seen them. Perhaps one of my blog readers knows and will leave a comment?


This one had thick, shaggy bark that was peeling off all over the place. The chunks of bark were very light, like cork. It had amazing puffy white blooms. 



The second tree was covered in pink flowers that were very fragrant:


 It had smooth gray bark that reminded me of how an elephant looks from far away:


6 comments:

  1. i love that polka dot couch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I think of our day together, I just smile. It was my pleasure to have you visit my studio, go to lunch and visit the Airstream lot. I enjoyed your lecture so much at Beach Cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call the first tree paperbark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We called the first one a paper tree - similar to Joan's answer of paperbark. But I don't know the real name. Love the tree though. I haven't seen one since I was in Orange County, Garden Grove to be exact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those trees are both so cool.... we don't have any like that in Seattle! I like airstream trailers too... my friends have a tiny one, all restored with knotty pine inside. Her name is Miss Otis. Have you seen the little Nash Metropolitan cars pulling trailers? They come in great colors and sometimes have matching trailers or pull little airstreams. found your blog today, I want to learn your stitching techniques! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.