Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Still Life No. 3


This is a new piece I created for a 6-hour thread sketching class I’m teaching Sept. 10 for the Calico Cutters Quilt Guild in West Chester, PA. I'll be presenting a lecture for the Brandywine Valley Quilters in Thornton, Pa., that evening, and will do a different presentation for Calico Cutters on Sept. 11. If you live in the area, consider signing up for the class. And please come to the lectures and say hello!

I’m calling the piece “Still Life No. 3.” It is based on this photo:





The class is designed to help students expand their machine free-motion skills. Students also learn how to: 
  • fuse down the applique pieces
  • create line, color and texture and dimension with thread 
  • gain control and confidence when free-motion stitching
  • stabilize the fabric surface
  • choose the right threads and needles for thread painting
  • correct tension problems
  • layer with batting and free-motion quilt
 These are all the threads I used to create the detail on the fused fruit fabrics:

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Susan. This looks like an interesting class that you're developing. A combination of my favorites: still lifes and quilts. The stitching makes it.
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a skill I would love to learn. Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.