Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Laura Wasilowski presses on



Last fall, I met Laura Wasilowski at International Quilt Market and Festival. (She’s shown above reading a copy of Lyric Kinard’s book, Art + Quilt.) Last week, she came to speak and teach at the Charlotte Quilters Guild. I have not laughed that hard in a long time! What a joy she is.

Laura sings (“a selection of tunes from the Chicago School of Fusing Bond Fire Songbook”) and makes jokes through her slideshow, and her sweet nature and sense of humor add so much to her presentation. And her work is equally uplifting. Many are visual puns, or tell stories that reveal the humor Laura finds in every-day events.

Laura’s coming to teach at North Carolina Quilt Symposium in Charlotte June 3-6, and it will be great seeing her again. (Just a reminder: You don’t have to live in North Carolina to attend this great event. There are lots of fabulous, internationally known instructors teaching at symposium, and out-of-towners and out-of-staters are more than welcome!)

Today, Laura posted on her blog about the little embroidery pieces I’ve been working on. When she was here, I bought some of her hand-dyed threads to use. I could have bought one in every colorway; they are luscious! You can see her post here: http://artfabrik.blogspot.com/

Make sure you click on the photo of beautiful threads and follow the link to the hand-dyed fabrics, threads, patterns and art quilts on her website: http://www.artfabrik.com/

2 comments:

  1. did you notice how the cover of the book is color coordinated with her shirt? I'm sure she did that on purpose!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you happen to think Laura looks a bit like your childhood friend, Kathy's, mother, Dodie???
    I went to a lecture by Laura once and took one of her classes, and I agree........she is so entertaining, and of course, I especially enjoyed the songs!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave comments… Otherwise I feel like I'm just talking to myself! If you have time to write, please let me know what you think.